Height

7¾ inches.

Case

Fully bevel-glazed, the handle splitting and recessing into the top, repeat plunger to right glass, shuttered holes for winding, setting and strike/silent to rear.

Dial

Engine-turned mask to white enamel chapter disc with subsidiary seconds, signed E WHITE 20 COCKSPUR ST. LONDON, blued-steel hands.

Movement

Substantially made with twin chain fusees, Harrison’s maintaining power, large gilt platform with cut bimetallic balance to underslung lever escapement, rack strike/repeat on gong, back plate signed E WHITE 20 COCKSPUR ST. LONDON 692.

Duration

8 days.

Provenance

With Patric Capon, Islington;

The collection of Sir James Stirling;

Christies, 29 April 2010, lot 119;

Private collection UK.

Comparative Literature

Allix & Bonnert, Carriage Clocks, Their History and Development, Woodbridge, 1974, p.258;

RV Mercer, Edward John Dent and His Successors, London, 1977, pp.341-342;

D Roberts, Carriage and Other Travelling Clocks, Atglen, 1993, p.306, pp.312-315.

Notes

Edward White, previously a foreman at Dent’s, is recorded at 20 Cockspur Street 1861-1900. Dent had premises in the same street. The very close ties between the two companies may be seen in the present clock, which is almost identical Dent No. 14806 (see page 220) and indeed in other brass carriage clocks. The folding split handle is only seen elsewhere on Dent clocks (see again page 220).

White received a prize medal at The Great International London Exhibition in 1862, for a giant quarter-chiming carriage clock which was critically acclaimed by Charles Frodsham. He further exhibited at the Dublin and Paris Exhibitions, of 1865 and 1867 respectively, and won another medal at Dublin for ‘great taste and excellence of workmanship’ (see Richard Good, Victorian Clocks, London, 1996, p. 110).