Height

7½ inches.

Case

The gilt-brass case, with thick bevelled glass to each aperture. The top with brass handle, hinging into the recess surrounding the glazed escapement aperture. The removable glazed rear, with dust shutters for the winding and setting holes set into the glass.

Dial

The perfect white vitreous enamel dial with Roman hours and minute divisions, signed F. DENT, 61 STRAND & 34 ROYAL EXCHANGE, LONDON 1419, with subsidiary Arabic seconds ring bisecting XII, indicated by fine blued-steel hands, all set within a gilt-brass foliate mask.

Movement

The very substantial plates held by four pillars with chain fusee and spring barrel with Harrison’s maintaining power, up to the deeply planted gilt platform, with Earnshaw’s spring detent escapement and Dent’s split bimetallic balance with auxiliary compensation with blued-steel helical balance spring. The backplate signed F. Dent, London, 1419.

Duration

8 days.

Provenance

Property of an English collector.

Literature

C. Allix & P. Bonnert, Carriage Clocks, Their History and Development, Woodbridge, 1974, p. 258, pl.IX/26;
RV Mercer, Edward John Dent and His Successors, London, 1977, pp. 341-342;
D Roberts, Carriage and Other Travelling Clocks, Atglen, 1993, pp. 306, 312-315

Notes

Frederick Dent, born Rippon, took the Dent name when his widowed mother married Edward John Dent whom he succeeded in business. He died in 1860 but the business continued in his name until 1864.

When Edward John Dent died in 1853 his business was split between his two stepsons who both adopted the surname Dent. Richard Edward Dent inherited the Cockspur Street business which passed to his wife, Marianna Frederica Dent, when he died in 1856. The business continued as M. F. Dent until 1920 when it merged with E. Dent & Co. Ltd.