Height

14½ inches.

Case

Ebonised fruitwood veneer to an oak carcass with brass carrying handle to the triple pad top with fine mouldings, glazed breakarch door with matched mouldings repeated to the breakarch glazed sides with glazed back, standing on simple moulded feet. Supplied with a later two-piece ebonised fruitwood veneered bracket with sliding front.

Dial

7 inch x 9½ inch break arch brass dial with matted centre and finely cast rococo spandrels and applied silvered engraved chapter ring with Roman hours and Arabic 5 minute divisions to the outer edge having applied engraved silvered regulation dial unusually numbered 1-15 with simple blued-steel rise and fall hand. Strike silent lever below, chamfered mock pendulum aperture with silvered backing for the mock pendulum below XII. Chamfered calendar aperture exposing the silvered engraved Arabic calendar above VI. With applied oval silvered engraved cartouche signed in script Tho Mudge Willm Dutton London. Pierced blued-steel hands.

Movement

The substantial two train hour-striking chain-driven fusee movement, the plates united by five turned knopped pillars, with pivoted verge escapement, spring suspension for rise and fall pendulum regulation, sounding the hours on a single bell via a rack and snail. The plain backplate with movement securing brackets and pendulum holdfast for the lenticular bobbed pendulum, signed Tho Mudge Willm Dutton London.

Duration

8 days.

Provenance

Anthony Woodburn;

Christies, 21st Jan 2010, 500 Years: Decorative Arts Europe, lot 22;

The Haigh Collection, UK.

Notes

Thomas Mudge, born in Exeter 1715, apprenticed to George Graham, successor to Thomas Tompion, and free of the Clockmakers in 1738, took premises at 151 Fleet Street, was the inventor of the detached lever escapement. Without doubt he was one of the most important watch and clock-makers of the eighteenth century. In 1755 he entered into partnership with William Dutton, also a Graham apprentice, and 1765 acted as expert for the Board of Longitude. The partnership flourished, as they benefitted from a list of wealthy clients, continuing the standard of excellence inherited from the Tompion-Graham line. It was generally acknowledged that their designs, quality of work and elegance of their cases surpassed all others.