The inner case with plain glazed dial bezel, hinged to the pierced and engraved back with scrolls and a mask below VI, the rear also engraved 696 on the inner wheatear border, below the hour-repeat push bow pendant, the plain centre with winding square and decorative wheel in the middle. The inside punch numbered 696 and hallmarked for 1733, further stamped IW* for the casemaker, John Ward of Boars Head Court, Fleet Street, the bell screw-fixed.
Surveying instruments; waywiser and plane table;
The bezel, scratch marked 696 inside the back rim, with further pierced sections between panels containing flowers. The inside further stamped IW* for John Ward and London hallmarks for 1733.
The fine and original enamel dial with Arabic numerals outside the division ring and Roman hours within with original blued steel beetle and poker hands.
The cylinder movement with gilt-brass plates and five baluster pillars signed George Graham London 696. The gilt balance cock pierced and superbly scroll engraved with a mask below the diamond endstone and also numbered 696 under the cock, the similarly engraved top plate with silvered regulation disc, all held by blued steel screws. The going train with fusee and the quarter repeat mechanism activated by pressing the pendant.
Chester Beatty Collection, sold Sotheby’s June 1963, lot 194;
Vertue notebooks Vol III, 1934, Walpole Society;
Cumhaill, Investing in Clocks and Watches, 1967, p.75;
The Chester Beatty Graham watch, No.696. Dated 1733
An extremely fine George II gold pair-cased quarter repeating cylinder pocket watch by George Graham, the outer case by Ishmael Parbury