Heneage Finch was a barrister of the Inner Temple, near to Henry Jones. At the Restoration in 1660 he was MP for Canterbury and was soon after appointed Solicitor General. He became Attorney General in 1670, Lord Chancellor in 1675, and created Baron Finch in 1673 and Earl of Nottingham in 1681. At the time it was made, the clock was conceivably housed at Nottingham House, in Kensington, which was in 1689 bought from his heir, 2nd Earl of Nottingham, by William III and thence became Kensington Palace. The clock would then have subsequently been moved to Burley-on-the-Hill, Rutlandshire, the Finch family country house, where it is noted as having been housed before its appearance on the market in 1947.