Thomas Tompion 300 Years
By Jeremy Evans, Jonathan Carter and Ben Wright
This 664 page fully illustrated book examines Tompion’s life and work from several fresh and revealing angles:
- Chronology with almost every recorded contemporary reference to Tompion including those from the journals of Robert Hooke and Constantyn Huygens, as well as previously unpublished bills, receipts, bank records, etc.
- A detailed account of the evolution of the designs of cases and mechanisms, and the methods of production, discussing how the workshops may have been organised.
- The customer list contains every recorded customer and visitor to his shop, with details of their acquisitions.
- A chronological overview of Tompion’s watch production together with discussion regarding the workmen involved, and including a list of the marks they placed on his watches.
- 280 fully illustrated pages showing Tompion’s table clocks, longcase clocks and pocket watches, some not previously published.
- An updated version of the list of extant items produced by Tompion and his employees – clocks, watches and instruments