An English Striking and Repeating Bracket Clock with Silver Mounts by Edward Norris, London
The ebonised case with glazed sides, silk lined frets to the front door and sides and silver mounts to the inverted bell top, surmounted by a silver handle, the whole upon an ebonised wall bracket. The six inch square brass dial with applied silvered chapter ring with Arabic five minute divisions, trefoil half hour markers, matted centre with asymmetrical engraving to the calendar aperture below XII with strike/silent above and having silver winged cherub head spandrels to the corners together with decoratively pierced and chased blued steel hands. The twin fusee eight day movement with profusely engraved backplate and apron, verge escapement with brass rod and bob pendulum and repeating train sounding the quarters at will on two bells and the hours on a further single bell, being signed to the backplate, Edw. Norris London.
Edward Norris was apprenticed in 1650 and was Master of the Clockmakers’ Company in 1686.
|Clock maker:||Edward Norris, London|